Who does the Quran refer to when it says Ahlul Bayt? Sheikh Azhar Nasser compares Sunni and Shia viewpoints based on hadit from Sunni sources.
The three main perspectives are:
– It includes the Prophet’s wives, Bani Hashim, and the Holy Five (Ali, Fatima, Hassan, Hussain, and Prophet Muhammad)
– It includes just Bani Hashim and the Holy Five
– It includes just the Holy Five (shia perspective)
Sheikh Azhar discusses arguments for and against the verse of Purity (Quran 33:33) applying the wives as well as the Holy Five, looking at the verse in context with the surrounding verses.
The discussion covers:
– Why are wives referenced before and after this verse?
– Are wives actually being praised?
– Changes in pronouns
– Meaning of “warding off filth”
– Context changing from “Your houses” to “The house”
Podcast version: podcast.lifeofprophetmuhammad.com