Sheikh Azhar Nasser explores Sunni counter arguments to the Shia claim that the Verse of Purification (Quran 33:33)
The discussion covers:
– Claims that the context of the verse being different
– Claims that the verses include all of Bani Hashim
– Claims that the verse doesn’t prove infallibility
The Q&A also answers:
– Why the Imams sometimes gave their children the same names as prominent Sunni’s like Aisha and Uthman
Ans: The names didn’t necessarily imply endorsement back then, though Imam Ali specificlly said he named his son after a different Uthman)
– Why didn’t the Quran explicitly state who the Ahlul Bayt were?
Ans: This was one of the ways Allah preserved the Quran without affecting free will. Otherwise the enemies of those people would have fought harder to change the Quran.
Podcast version: podcast.lifeofprophetmuhammad.com