Continuing the identification of who is meant by the holy Ahl al-Bayt, Sheikh Azhar Nasser uses hadiths from Sunni sources that are accepted by both Shias and Sunnis to compare Shia and Sunni viewpoints.
– (Jame-ut-Tirmidi) Hadith al Kisa – the hadith of the cloak
– (Sahih Muslim) Zahid ibn Akram’s explanation of why the wives are not part of the Ahlul Bayt
– (Al Mustadrak ala al-Sahihayn) The prophet going to Fatima’s door every day for months after it was revealed, repeating the Verse of Purity saying “Oh Ahl al-Bayt…”
– (Sahih Muslim) Hadith of Mubahila, where the Christians of Najran rejected the Prophet’s message and were challenged to a mubahalah. Here the term “Ahl al-Bayt” was used for the holy five exclusively
– (Sahih al-Tirmidhi) Hadith Al-Thaqalayn, where the prophet said “I’m leaving for you that which if you hold onto you shall never devate., one is greater than the other: The Book of God-an extended rope between the Heavens and the Earth; and my progeny, my Ahl al-Bayt”
– The fact that the wives never used the Verse of Purification to show their superiority (despite sometimes using other claims to show their superiority)
Podcast version: podcast.lifeofprophetmuhammad.com